Monday, September 4, 2017

Faux Forged Boxes

I have a box of boxes. Typical art teacher hoarding here. I also have a collection of super cool cigar boxes, but not enough for an entire class let alone every student on my roster. So I am thinking that I would like to create some faux forged boxes with my one class of Crafts students. I have seen some fun psuedo repousse on Cassie Stephens' blog (and elsewhere) that kinda inspired this search I made that resulted in this find.


My plan is to have the students use found objects and applied textures using different media (like texture media, modeling paste with a variety of tools and such) adhered/added to the surface of the boxes in my stash, then add aluminum foil with spray adhesive or thinly applied glue, burnish with fingers or Q-Tips, and add India Ink (or colored alcohol inks, or perhaps Sharpies?) to it. After it dries I will have the kids rub the surface lightly with steel wool.

I will post images after I have the kids make them. Until then, here are more inspirational projects others have shared online.

Here are a few images of some of the completed pieces we did this year (2017-18) in the first week of school. 



I opted to have my newly arrived Crafts students start the year using the boxes, some leaves, grasses, other organic materials. textured papers, and HVAC tape to create these cute little boxes as a fast introduction to class. It was nice to let them create something with little planning and just a good old does of creative problem-solving, especially in that first week when so many classes are covering rules and expectations.



No comments:

Post a Comment