Friday, September 15, 2017

How I Stopped Judging and Learned to Love Ojo de Dios

Ojo de Dios. God's Eyes. The thought of popsicle sticks and cheap yarn is enough to bring even a half-decent art teacher to tears.

I inherited a class called Crafts at my school back in 2011. Then I handed it back over to another teacher in lieu of teaching AP Art History because I just wasn't feelin' it. First off, there was no curriculum. That can be an awesome thing in a class where you are passionate about the subject, but a nightmare when you are dropped in mid-year without a clue as to what you are supposed to do. I fell into that latter camp back in January 2011. I was able to make some cool stuff the following year, but I had made the class more about sculpture than craft, so when the opportunity arose and the other teacher wanted the class, I jumped at the chance.

Leap ahead to 2016. The teacher who had happily taken Crafts back retired, and I was back to having that as part of my schedule. She excitedly told me that I should teach Ojo de Dios and I shut down. NO WAY!!! That is such a Camp Craft!

This past summer I decided to take a look at the damn idea. I researched just a little bit and found this artist who makes amazing mandalas using traditional Ojo de Dios methods and I have been hooked ever since! This idea that made my skin crawl and my blood boil is now something that I love! I have to thank Jay Mohler for inspiring me to try something new. My students have really taken to the whole concept and the following are images of their work.










No comments:

Post a Comment