Thursday, January 18, 2018

Why Building Relationships is the Key to Classroom Management



My classroom management is pretty good. Not to brag, but it has always been this way; starting in my student teaching and continuing over the last 18 academic years. I am thinking about this today because I am in an evaluation year and was asked about classroom management by my principal yesterday (as part of our reflection on my new approach to teaching artistic behaviors, which is the project I am doing as part of the evaluation).

Having to state to my principal that I do not struggle with classroom management made me think about what I hear in my online PLCs and from colleagues. It is not that everyone is struggling with it, but I hear comments and questions about managing classes so often that it must be a challenge for many. So here is my approach to classroom management:

Build authentic relationships with your kids.

Students, especially teens in my experience (I have taught at every grade-level in public school) can spot a phony a mile away. If you are inauthentic with students you are going to have a hard time keeping their attention and earning their respect.

How do I establish these relationships? First, I am open and honest, sometimes playful, and establish boundaries with my kids. They know that I can be silly but with an air of respectability that is the cornerstone of every student-teacher interaction in which I participate.

I do not take negative behaviors personally. That is not always easy, but it is important. Just last week I received a new student. The kid has some serious anger issues and seemed bent on aiming their anger at any adult nearby. This child aimed a heated slew of monosyllabic words my direction after being asked to "just give it a try" when they were refusing to try drawing a self-portrait from observation. He yelled and cussed and stormed out, after which the rest of the class grew silent and shook their heads. I laughed a little, to which the class responded with amazement. One student asked, "How can you laugh at that when he just called you a 'f@#king b@!tch?" I asked them if I am what he called me. "No. Not at all!" I explained that it is not true so I can't let it get to me (I was upset, mind you... quite a bit, actually. My hands were shaking with frustration and emotion, but I held it together). I explained that while I actually am upset that he attacked me and made such a scene that what he said was not true and that getting really mad and yelling or whatever really gave him my power, and that I would not easily relinquish my own ability to control my emotions over so petty a slew of words.

Today I saw that student again for the first time (I had to write a referral, something I very rarely do, but... yeah. It was necessary). He walked in. The class grew so quiet (before the bell, mind you, so not always the case). I looked up and called him up to my work table. He exhaled pretty audibly, but came up. I told him that we had made sketchbooks in his absence and that I wanted to show him how so that he could have one for the current project. He looked so surprised that I failed to mention our last interaction. I smiled, showed him how to handle the task and gave him the supplies he'd need and sent him back to his seat. He got straight to work. When I walked around to check on his progress and offer feedback on his blind contours, he was more than amicable and received his criticism with maturity and seemed happy to have it. On his way out the door today he told me to have a nice day. I will take that as success.

I am no "student whisperer" but I do connect well with students. I love what I do and I share that love with my kids. I come to school ready to work hard, redirect behaviors that are not conducive to a successful and healthy class, and generally enjoy my career. It is imperative that this be the case in order to survive in this job. If you are not happy teaching, get out. The students and the community deserve more.

Are you struggling with classroom management? Try some fun community-building activities and relationship-building games with your kids. Do what feels natural to you and your authenticity will show. Let the kids get to know you and take the time to get to know them. Attend games, pep rallies, dances, performances, and whatever other activities your school participates in. Shop at the local stores where your students work (if they are old enough) or where you might run into them. So many of my colleagues refuse to do that small thing, and I think that is a mistake. I mean, don't hit up the local Target to fill your cart with booze or anything, but get your bread and milk and other commodities where you might run into students and then, if you do see some kids you know, say hello or at least smile at them! My son and mom find it amusing how many times I get hugged in Target or how long it takes me to walk across a parking lot on a weekend due to having to greet past and present students and parents. I love that!!! I have heard my name shouted across a parking lot, have had students walk with me through "sketchier" areas in my community, been advised on what moisturizer or mascara to use, had my dog petted and scratched by hoards of teens, and in other ways have it made clear that our relationships are as real to them as they are to me. And that is why I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment