Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Why I Choose to Look at Growth Over Mastery, Process Over Product

In the last several years I have found myself looking at my approach to art education and re-thinking the ways in which I both present information and assess students. At one point in my career I considered having more students with beautiful artwork that followed a specific recipe than student work that fell short of my expectations to be a measure of a good teacher. While that may be a fine manner in which to gauge student work in more advanced courses, as an Art 1 teacher, I determined that this was against the very nature of education.

School is a place in which students should feel safe in taking risks and missing the goal. We cannot expect our students to try new and challenging processes when the threat of failure is on the horizon. While many students in my early years would be unafraid of trying something hard, in my experience working in the urban school in which I presently find myself, there are many students who would rather fail a class because they didn't do anything (their decision) than try their best and be assessed as not meeting expectations. In a perfect world everyone would have the grit it takes to overcome all adversity, both in the classroom and out. I do not find myself in that world, so I needed to find a way to reach the students I have in my classroom in the world in which I actually teach.

So, I have changed and grown as my student's needs have changed. I think this makes me a better teacher now than I was previously, even while I feel that some of the end products are not as accomplished as once was the norm in my art classes. Not saying I do not get those amazing pieces. I do. But where I work now the students are less concerned with school and learning (especially as it relates to a class outside of their immediate interests or the field of tech, where they see themselves headed), and more concerned about survival and thriving in this fast-faced tech mecca filled with diversity and inequitable distribution of wealth and prosperity.

Here are some of the most recent results of using this mindset to encourage my students to try new things and learn new skills. Please understand that all photos were taken by the students and some were taken with Chromebooks. Additionally, while many are quite accomplished now, I am including one were I see exceptional growth even while the end result is less than stellar.
Already a capable student, this freshman has a more naturalistic result after instruction

Pardon the shadow on the early drawing. 

Proportions are so much improved!

I see such a change in the use of value to create form.

Already very accomplished, however more confident use of value after instruction.

Much more confidence in drawing the human face.

More confident use of value.

Proportions need work still, however the growth in handling of graphite is amazing.

Values have improved.

Super determined student who works hard and celebrates her successes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment